Sex Crime Attorney in Denver
Colorado Sex Offender Registration Laws
Those convicted of sex crimes are usually required to register a sex offender for five, ten, or twenty years as long as no violence was involved in the crime, but if you are convicted of a violent sexual crime you will be required to register a sex offender for the rest of your life.
The term “sex crime” covers a wide range of criminal activity, including but not limited to:
- Sexual contact involving minors
- Use of force or coercion for sexual gain
- Familial sexual contact
- Exploiting a position of trust for sexual gain
- Exploitation, trafficking, or prostitution of a child
- Using the internet to commit a sex crime
Facing charges of a sex crime will likely be the one of the most traumatizing and stressful experiences of your life. The possibility of public attention for a mere accusation can ruin your reputation, even before your case goes to trial. A conviction comes with a harsh penalty beyond prison time and fines: the requirement to register a sex offender. Your image, your address, and the crime will be available to anyone with a digital device who clicks on your name.
Protect your future. Contact our experienced Denver sex crime defense lawyer at Big Mountain Law for a free consultation.
Minimum Sentence for Sex Offenders in Colorado
Sex offender registration duration depends on the crime that was committed, the following is a list of sex crime offenses and how long a convicted individual must submit to the registry:
- Felony sexual assault, sexually violent predators, and/or at least two convictions of sexual offenses come with a life time registration requirement.
- You can petition for removal from the registry after 20 years for class 1, 2, & 3 felonies.
- You can petition for removal from the registry after 10 years for class 4, 5, & 6 felonies.
- You can petition for removal from the registry after 10 years for class 1 misdemeanors that include sexual assault or sexual contact.
- You can petition for removal from the registry after 5 years for other misdemeanors.
Failure to register as a sex offender increases the number of years on the registry by 1, but if the case was dismissed you may be able to petition immediately following the end of the trial.
Let Us Help You
The accomplished and professional legal team at Big Mountain Law is here to help. We offer private, discreet, and effective legal counsel that works to minimize media attention and develop a persuasive and effective defense. Our goal is to protect your rights and interests, and fight to have the charges dismissed, dropped, or reduced, or to achieve an acquittal at trial.
At Big Mountain Law, we have over a decade of experience representing those accused of criminal acts. We work aggressively on creating a personalized defense solution while maintaining absolute privacy. If you or a loved one are facing charges of a sex crime, don’t hesitate. You need an effective, knowledgeable Denver sex crime attorney as soon as possible.
If you need an experienced, effective, and knowledgeable trial attorney by your side, call us at (303) 747-6779 to schedule your free initial consultation.
A Relationship Is Built with Every Client
Attorney Corkadel Handles Each Case Himself
High Success Rate in Trial
Nearly 15 Years of Legal Experience